Assistance with Medicare

If you are having a problem with an issue relating to your Medicare coverage, my office may be able to help.

Some examples of problems my office may be able to help resolve are: billing issues, difficulties with Part D prescription drug coverage, and claims for medical equipment coverage. 

In order for my office to make an inquiry with Medicare, you must first fill out the privacy release form authorizing myself or my staff to receive information on your behalf. You can access a privacy release form online, or by contacting my district office, if you would like it mailed to you. Once you have filled out the privacy release form, you can mail, fax, or drop it off to my district office in Roseville:

Congressman Sander Levin
27085 Gratiot Avenue., Suite C
Roseville, MI 48066
(586) 498-7123 (Fax)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. What is the difference between Part A and Part B, and what do they cover?

A. Medicare Part A is known as hospital coverage. Part A covers inpatient hospital care, inpatient care in a skilled nursing facility following a hospital stay, some home health care, and hospice care. If you paid FICA taxes while you were working, Part A coverage is free except for coinsurance and deductibles.

Medicare Part B covers outpatient services. These services include doctors' services, diagnostic tests, durable medical equipment, ambulance service and many other health services and supplies not covered by Medicare Part A.  In order to sign up for Part B coverage, you must be 65 year of age and pay a monthly premium.  You may sign up for Part B by contacting your local Social Security office.

Please note that Medicare does not cover custodial (bathing, personal care services, help eating) care in or out of a nursing home.

Q. Can your office assist me if I am having difficulty with my Part D prescription drug plan?

A. You should first call your prescription plan or 1-800-Medicare to try to resolve the problem. If you are still having difficulty, please call my district office and my staff will try to help you resolve the problem.

Q. Where can I learn more about the Medicare Part D Prescription drug plans offered?

A. You can visit and navigate through the Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Finder to view plan prices and research which plan is best for you. I also recommend utilizing some of the local resources available in Michigan to get individual advice from trained professionals about your options.

Q. What if Medicare refuses a claim and I disagree with them?

A. You have the right to appeal. Information on the appeal process would be included in any denial decision you receive. You may contact my office for assistance with this process.

Q. My Medicare HMO has discontinued my coverage. What do I do?

A. You have 63 days from the time your HMO coverage ends to purchase supplemental insurance (Medigap) and be guaranteed coverage. During that period, no insurance company may deny you Medigap coverage based on your age or health status. However, prices may vary. For more information on Medigap, call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227.

Additionally, you may want to contact the Area Agency on Aging at 1-800-852-7795.for assistance with exploring your options.

Q. I am having trouble affording coverage. Are there any programs that can help pay for my coverage?

A. Yes. If your monthly income is below a certain level, you may qualify for a Medicare Savings Program that would pay some of your deductibles and coinsurance. To check if you qualify, and for more information about the Medicare Savings Program, please call 1-800-642-3195.

Q. Can I delay my Medicare Part B enrollment without paying higher premiums?

A. Yes. If you or your spouse has group health insurance from an employer or union, you may be able to delay enrolling in Part B without having to pay higher premiums. However, exceptions are very limited, so be sure to check with your Social Security Office before you decide not to enroll at 65.


(Updated April 26, 2013)