Assistance with Veterans Affairs

If you are having a problem with an issue relating to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), my office may be able to help.

Some examples of situations my office may be able to help with are: obtaining medals or ribbons, obtaining military records and checking the status of a claim for benefits.

In order for my office to make an inquiry with the VA, you must first fill out a release form authorizing myself or my staff to receive information on your behalf. You can access a Privacy Act Release Form online, or by contacting my district office if you would like it mailed to you. Once you have filled out the Privacy Act Release Form, you can mail, fax, or drop it off to my district office in Roseville:

Congressman Sander Levin
27085 Gratiot Avenue., Suite C
Roseville, MI 48066
(586) 498-7122 or (248) 968-2025 (Phone)
(586) 498-7123 (Fax)

Veteran Affairs Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I contact local Department of Veterans Affairs offices?

Detroit Regional Office
Department of Veterans Affairs
Patrick V. McNamara Federal Building
477 Michigan Avenue
Detroit, MI 48226
Telephone # 1-800-827-1000

John D. Dingell VA Medical Center
4646 John R.
Detroit, MI 48201
Telephone # 313-576-1000 or 1-800-511-8056
Fax # 313-576-1025

Q. Can your office assist me with obtaining the medals and ribbons I was awarded for my service but never received?

A. Yes. If you would like to receive medals and ribbons that you are awarded and did not receive or need replaced, my office will submit an offiicial request to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri. The NPRC will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.

Q. Can your office assist me with obtaining a copy of my DD214 and other military records?

A. Yes. My office can submit an official request to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri to receive your DD214 and other military records if they are available.

Q. How do I file a claim for VA benefits?

A. To file a claim for benefits, I strongly suggest that you contact a Veterans Service Organization (VSO) for assistance. VSO's are in place to help veterans and their families identify, apply for and maintain veterans benefits.  This service is provided free of charge. 

Although you are free to contact one of the national VSO’s that are housed at the McNamara Federal Building (such as the VFW or the American Legion), it will be more convenient for you to contact either Macomb County Veterans Services or Oakland County Veterans Services.  Not only are these county organizations closer to home, they have larger and experienced staffs that can help file your claim in a timely fashion.

Additionally, you can apply for benefits online without the assistance of a VSO. 

For further information about VA benefits or to learn more about applying for benefits on your own without a VSO, please visit

Q. Can your office assist with getting my claim for benefits or an appeal processed faster?

A. My office can make an inquiry with the VA on your behalf to check the status of a claim for benefits and request any additional information that is available. The VA will provide a response and keep my office updated throughout the process. It is important to note that my office does not have any decision making authority, and the VA has complete discretion concerning decisions on individual cases.

Q. Are there any transportation services for veterans that you are aware of?

A. Yes. Both Macomb and Oakland County Veterans Services provide some transportation to certain VA Medical facilities. Below is information on how to contact your county Veteran’s Services office:

Macomb County Veteran’s Services

21885 Dunham, Suite 3
Clinton Township, MI 48036
(586) 469-5315
(586) 469-5316

Oakland County Veteran’s Services

Pontiac Office
North Office Building 26 East
1200 North Telegraph
Pontiac, Michigan, 48341

Southeast Oakland
1151 Crooks Road
Troy, Michigan, 48084

(Updated Marh 17, 2016)